Coming Out of Left Field

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Whew

The other day, I drove a car, and managed to end up with the same number of limbs I started out with. This isn't a big deal to most people, but it's quite an accomplishment if either of two things is true:

1. You haven't driven any sort of vehicle in over a decade.
2. Being a Taurus, you prefer, literally as well as figuratively, to keep your feet on solid ground.

Since both those apply to me, I was very, very apprehensive about taking the driver's seat. Fortunately, I have an extremely encouraging, patient and trusting wife with a smallish car, and the dirt road I practiced on, though bordered by trees, was clear of people, other cars, animals, or any other sizable moving objects.

I did two slow, careful loops before calling it a day. Eventually I hope to work my way up to an empty parking lot, and if I'm lucky I may even make it onto a highway before another decade rolls around.

Technorati:

Comments: Post a Comment