Coming Out of Left Field

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Farewell, Wordsworth

Dear Hillel Stavis and Donna Friedman,

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for buying books online.

I'm sorry for shopping at Barnes and Noble and Borders.

I'm sorry that I didn't spend more time and money at your bookstore. Yes, I gave you some of each, but not nearly as much as you deserve.

Most of all, I'm sorry that after 28 years, WordsWorth Bookstore has closed.

I'm sorry that, in an age of online stores and blockbuster chains, one of the few independent booksellers found itself unable to compete. And I'm sorry for my part in that.

I am glad that you're keeping Curious George, your kids' store, up and running. And I pledge to help it stay that way.

With sincere regrets,

soxfan

Technorati:

Comments:
Sounds like my town with the small stores that close cause of the big stores!

Spencer
http://afagandhishag.blogspot.com/
 

Yeah. Sounds like the plot to "You've Got Mail", too. *sigh*
 

My partner and I were just talking about how difficult it is for independent book stores to survive. What scares me is that Barnes and Noble and Borders will, in effect, make the decisions as to what even gets published.
 

That scares and saddens me, too. Even if people can self-publish, they probably won't get 1/100th the attention that the mass-market potboilers do. Bigger is definitely not always better.
 

We lost our best indie bookstore years ago... before Barnes & Noble even came in. Just Borders and online shopping was enough to drive them under. It's just not the same. And they had great coffee, not that Starcrack swill.
 

I've only lived in Boston for 3 years now, and the one thing I found amazing about this city was how many independant book stores that existed here even if many of them are used bookstores. I liked Wordsworth a lot, I wish I had more money to spend there.
 

Post a Comment