Coming Out of Left Field

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Anti-bias activism

A couple of petitions that have come my way recently:

1. The DNC's petition to Bush, protesting a proposed linkage of Social Security benefits to race and gender. (related news story)

Yes, I know auto insurers and HMOs (among others) look at a number of factors to determine rates. But we pay them for a service. Social Security, on the other hand, is a payout from the government to us, using money we put into the system. Hey, here's a thought -- if my benefits are going to be cut since I'm a non-Caucasian woman, how about taking less money from me in the first place? No? Oh, well, it was worth a try.

2. The HRC's petition, urging senators to vote against the Federal Marriage Amendment. Thanks to misguided Republicans who think Bush's 3% margin of victory translates into a mandate, this discriminatory proposal is once more is rearing its ugly head. It doesn't even deserve a mention, let alone a vote of passage; sign the petition and make sure it doesn't earn one.

Technorati:

Comments:
For lovers of wrist bands and equality, I received an e-mail today about eQuality wristbands for sale to promote equlity in marriage. You can find a link from my blog. I ordered mine today!
 

Post a Comment