Coming Out of Left Field

Monday, March 07, 2005

So many books, so little room

The wife and I had an unusually busy weekend. Friday night we had dinner with her parents and a friend of the family, who gave us much good advice on our next big project, namely finding a house. We came out of it actually feeling better about our prospects; though we don't make much combined, it does look like we can afford something bigger than a corner of a garage somewhere. Saturday afternoon we helped my wife's mom sort through books, many of which ended up coming home with us despite our lack of space for the ones we already have. Yes, this is one of the reasons we need our own house in the first place.

Saturday night we had dinner with friends before heading to the Swingtime dance. I was sidelined most of the evening with a nasty cold, so I manned the door, listened to the music (courtesy of the Mood Swings, a damn fine band), and enjoyed watching the dancers. It was a pretty big crowd, which is nice. Hopefully some of the new faces will become regulars.

Sunday I spent lazing about, reading and trying to get over my cold. I finished Lords and Ladies, part of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and nibbled away at Diana Gabaldon's The Fiery Cross. The latter is unfortunately becoming harder and harder to read, since I'm getting near the spot where the author does something unspeakably horrible and entirely unnecessary to one of her characters. I may just have to do what my wife did and skip over the nasty bits, or alternate it with another book. It's not as if there isn't anything else to read in the house!

Technorati: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment