Coming Out of Left Field

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Tax tip

Tip for any same-sex couples who are married in Massachusetts: you have the option of submitting one state return as a married couple, or two state returns as "married, but filing separately". It might mean more work, particularly if you're doing taxes on your own, but it might save you a little money and ensures that your legal status is on record. (Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about the federal return ... maybe our kids will.)

Neither my wife nor I thought of it until her tax preparer at H&R Block brought it up. After some number-crunching, she determined that doing two state returns would save us the grand total of $17 -- probably enough to cover our pre-appointment dinner. :)

Technorati: , LGBT, taxes

Comments: Post a Comment