Coming Out of Left Field

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Same-sex marriage essay

Lemonlime of Epinions is running a writeoff on Homosexuality, Marriage and Religion. Though I'm not religious, I am gay and married as well as somewhat informed, so the lack of denominational affiliation didn't stop me from having an opinion. Here's the beginning of my entry:

(Optional)

What are your spiritual beliefs or religious affiliations? Leaning Jewish/Taoist.

What is your sexual orientation? Gay or lesbian -- I use them interchangeably.

How do you see your own religious/spiritual views as influencing your opinion of sexuality? Not having been raised in any particular religion, I don't associate sexuality with sin.

(Required)

How do you define marriage? In two ways. Privately, it's a lifelong commitment between two people who love each other. Publicly, it's a legal status conferred by the government. While many people have religious ceremonies, I consider that a personal choice, not an intrinsic part of marriage.

What thoughts or reactions do you have to these two pictures? (all completely safe for work, home, etc.)

Image 1
Image 2

Happy sighs and a flash of recognition, as I know exactly what those two couples must be thinking and feeling. I'm guessing that the two women in the second picture have been in a relationship for a long time, which makes the moment even sweeter.

Continue reading (on Epinions)

Technorati: , LGBT, marriage equality

Comments: Post a Comment