Coming Out of Left Field

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Book meme

Found this on DrMomentum's blog, and since I did read his post I must consider myself tagged. Here goes:

# of books I own
Er, lots. Probably more than I think I own, though I'll probably have a better idea after we pack them up for our move.

Last book I bought
The wife and I picked up five titles on our last excursion, and probably would've gotten more if we didn't have to walk a ways back to our B&B:

On the Road by Jack Kerouac
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome
Without Reservations : The Travels of an Independent Woman by Alice Steinbach
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Last book I read
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett, a solid entry in his Discworld series, and the book that introduces one of my favorite characters, Sam Vimes.

Five books that mean a lot to me
Erg, it's so hard to narrow this down to five titles. The closest I've come is figuring out my five favorite authors at the moment: Tolkien, Shakespeare, Pratchett, Connie Willis, and Studs Terkel, who at one time or another have either made me laugh or made me go "Hmmm ..." about something I'd never thought about before.

No pressure on anyone else to do this, but if you feel like it, post a link to your blog post or leave your list in the comments.

Technorati: ,

Comments:
I really have to get around to reading some Terry Pratchett.

I am constantly told I am remiss.
 

I followed the link you posted on Dr. Momentum's site (jp burke).

Ooohhh...I forgot about Philip Pullman's series His Dark Materials. What a fabulous series that was.

I didn't like that they tweaked the story for American kids, just like they do with Harry Potter stories, so I bought the English versions from a Canadian bookstore (as I do with Harry Potter). I've had a little trouble ordering with my Canadian bookstore (The Book Mark in Toronto), so I've bought the last few British books from Foyle's online (London bookstore).

Sometimes it's just the unfortunate cover art that the publishers feel compelled to foist on the American market that makes me buy the British versions from Canada (i.e., Terry Pratchett's books).

The British cover art is much better for authors like Pratchett and Rowling.
 

I've been meaning to read Terry Pratchett too. I've only read "Good Omens" which has mentioned a few times in these book memes. And I thought I would mind that Bill Bryson never finished the Appalachian Trail in his "A Walk in the Woods" book but it was so funny and insightful about America that the trail seemed secondary.
 

JP and mike, you must must must check out Pratchett. He's a good entertaining read -- lots of puns and pop-culture references -- but there are some serious ideas behind the humor. "The Color of Magic" is the first Discworld book, but you can really jump in almost anywhere.

My wife recommended Pullman, whom I've never read but have heard good things about. We already own some of the later ones, though she says the last book in particular is too dark for her tastes. I'm looking forward to the Bryson book too -- I really like his other stuff.
 

Post a Comment