Coming Out of Left Field

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Yes!

Victory is sweet:

Mass. Legislature rejects proposed amendment banning gay marriage

I happened to be switching T lines around 2 p.m., and gave in to the impulse to stop by the State House. My timing couldn't have been better; after about 45 minutes standing on the sidewalk with a MassEquality sign and my "Married in Massachusetts" T-shirt, folks were asked to go inside pronto. We were just in time to hear -- and applaud -- the vote count. I can't speak for anyone else, but I was stunned by the final margin. Yes, some of the anti-gay legislators probably voted against this amendment to clear the way for an even worse one, but 157 to 39? That qualifies as a butt-kicking no matter how you look at it.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay (work and dinner duties were calling), but I was there long enough to hear some of the speeches and hug a couple of friends in mini-celebration. With my usual lack of preparation, I didn't bring our digital camera. So I have no pictures to share, just the joy of one more battle won, and many, many thanks to the people who worked so hard for the cause.

Technorati: , LGBT, marriage equality, Massachusetts

Comments:
Yes!

I can still be proud of my state.
 

Me too. Oh, me too.
 

Post a Comment