Coming Out of Left Field

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Happy National Coming Out Day!

Today is a day for GLBT folk to be out and proud, and for their straight allies to be right there with them.

This being an all-work no-school day, I probably won't get to leave the house. So I'll do my celebrating here and share links to two Boston Globe columns that get at the true definition of marriage -- no matter who's doing the marrying:

"From the other side of the altar, this is the best advice I can offer gay couples harangued by demands for wedding cake: Unplug the phone. Don't worry about politics, parties, or pressure. When it comes to marriage, the only two voices that matter are the ones that may – or may not – say 'I do.'"

The ring thing (David Valdes Greenwood)

"Maybe we Northamptonites are simply traditional, prescribing the same square things: Respect the laws, especially those minted in Massachusetts. Stand by your man or woman. Elect marriage, and leave the open ones to the wacky heterosexuals."

Square like me (Elinor Lipman)

Technorati: , LGBT, marriage equality, Massachusetts

Comments: Post a Comment