Coming Out of Left Field

Friday, November 18, 2005

Film is done (again) ...

... but only after a series of mishaps that don't have me wanting to go back to school anytime soon:

-- I'd booked the sound transfer room from 3 to 4 p.m. Someone else had also booked it for the same time, but according to Film Production Services he was using the mixing board, not the mag transfer machine. When I went up to the room, I found they were wrong. The guy was nice and promised to be done in 15-20 minutes, but in reality, he didn't leave until 3:45 p.m. I loaded the machine and promptly got the mag tape all snarled, forcing me to waste more time untangling it.

-- The first Steenbeck I tried did not have working sound.

-- The second Steenbeck did have sound, so I was able to do my second soundtrack. It did not, however, have a working footage counter, which I needed to compile the mixing log.

-- The third Steenbeck did have a working footage counter, but was in another room halfway down the hall.

I'm sure there are good things about learning filmmaking the non-digital way. I just can't think of any at the moment.

Technorati: , , ,

Comments:
Yeah, the first semester of law school we have to do all of our research in the stacks, in the actual books. This is particularly handy when there are a few hundred 1L's all seeking the one copy of the particular reporter we all need for that week's Legal Research and Writing assignment. Then second semester comes and we get turned loose onto online research - who would ever want to go back?
 

Post a Comment