Coming Out of Left Field

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Geeky mysteries

The other day I was chatting with a friend about the job situation, and she mentioned that one of her brothers works in the computer industry. She added that she has no idea what he does at his job, only that it has something to do with computers. We talked about this for a few moments, since I feel the same way about my brother. I can tell you he has a doctorate in computer science and works in computers, but when pressed on what exactly he does, I usually mumble, "Er ... some kind of programming, I think. One of these days, I'll have to get him to explain it to me." (Of course, the last time I asked him to clarify what he was working on, he sent me a one-paragraph synopsis of his thesis, which to this liberal-artsy, non-technical person did not bear more than a slight resemblance to English.)

My friend and I got a few chuckles out of this before returning to the topic of job-hunting. She said she would keep her eyes open for any likely positions -- and then said, "Maybe at some point, you can tell me what exactly it is you do ..."

I may not be a hard-core geek like my brother, but it's nice to be mistaken for one every once in a while.

Technorati:

Comments: Post a Comment