Coming Out of Left Field

Friday, January 27, 2006

One for the "duh" department

The text for my sound design class has a cool appendix listing some common sound effects and ways of producing them. For instance, if you need the sound of a cow being milked and don't happen to have a cow handy, you can get a water pistol, fill in and squirt it into an empy metal bucket or other container. For a gunshot, prick a balloon with a pin or slam a book shut. For hoofbeats, bang coconut shells together (a la the knights in Monty Python).

Most of the other effects sound just as fun, with the notable exception of the doorbell, which is explained concisely if not that originally:

"Use a real doorbell."

Wow, it's a good thing that was included in the book. I never would've figured that one out on my own. Nice to know I'm getting my money's worth -- and at $97, I want every single penny of it.

Technorati: ,

Comments:
In case you didn't hear:
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_012706WABgayrightsvoteLJ.43b041bc.html

It'll be fought over again and again but this time... it passed. (I sure could have used it two years ago) ;)
 

YAAAAAYYYYYY! :)
 

Post a Comment