Coming Out of Left Field

Monday, May 15, 2017

In more news from the surreal world that is Trumpland

Trump apparently spilled some classified info to the Russians who visited the Oval Office last week. This, after him bashing Hillary over and over for having a private server for her e-mails.

You know, if I wanted to live in Tom Clancy's universe, I would've read the rest of his technothrillers instead of ditching them when the series jumped the shark. Just as well, though, given how long my reading queue is right now -- which became even bigger today with the arrival of two Rick Riordan titles (The Dark Prophecy, his second Apollo book, and Camp Half-Blood Confidential). The 11th edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary also came, which I will *not* be reading cover to cover. It'll be a useful reference both in general and to accompany Word by Word. I looked up the definition for "take" (after reading Kory Stamper's chapter on the issues with defining short words), and oy, is that entry long! I have a newfound respect for lexicographers ... and the conviction that, as much as I love words, there is no way I could do that for eight hours a day.

Comments: Post a Comment