Coming Out of Left Field

Friday, May 05, 2017

Currently reading

Starting up blogging here occasionally because I need an outlet other than rage-tweeting at the current administration. If the ad revenue ever adds up to enough to let me make an additional donation to the organizations fighting Trump, so much the better (though I'm not banking on it). In any case, writing has got to be better for my brain than Candy Crush.

My current reading pile:

  • the most recent three issues of The New Yorker. Ever since the election I find that with any given issue, I get through the event listings just fine, turn the page -- and hit a wall, in the form of a Comment about He-Who-Should-Not-Have-Been-Elected. Thus the backlog. I'm getting better at gritting my teeth and powering through ... one does, unfortunately, build up a tolerance for this &#@&
  • the most recent issue of Wired (barely started)
  • the "Gender Revolution" issue of National Geographic (thought-provoking)
  • "The Martian" by Andy Weir (the escapist fantasy I need right now)
  • "The Compass Rose" by Ursula K. Le Guin (strange and compelling)
  • "How to Bake π" by Eugenia Cheng (I still don't like math much, but Cheng is funny and illuminating)
  • "Le Paris Des Merveilles" by Pierre Pevel (barely started)
  • "Secret Water" by Arthur Ransome (from the Swallows and Amazons series my wife grew up reading)
  • "Word by Word" by Kory Stamper. This is a fascinating look at Merriam-Webster. It does make me realize that as much as I like words, I could never be a lexicographer, for the same reason I never got into math; I don't have the patience to be that precise.

Oh, and then there are my wife's alumnae bulletins ... oy. Time to stop blogging and start reading

Comments: Post a Comment