Coming Out of Left Field

Thursday, May 11, 2017

The joys of weeding, or how do I hate dandelions? Let me count the ways

The title of this post speaks for itself, so the less said about that the better. Ugh.

I did successfully distract myself for a while by thinking about the Pierre Pevel book I'm reading -- specifically, about how in his universe winged cats can magically absorb the contents of any printed matter they nap on. This could be a very useful ability, and I decided that if I had that power I would get a whole bunch of reference books to download into my brain. A dictionary for sure, and foreign language primers. Most certainly a basic cookbook (like Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything"). Probably not an encyclopedia, as it would be too big to fit under my pillow and it wouldn't have enough depth for any given topic. An atlas, to correct my shaky knowledge of geography; travel guides for when we're planning vacations. Maybe even important but oh-so-long historical documents like the U.S. Constitution and the Federalist Papers.

Basically, I would use this power on anything that could be good to know, but that doesn't necessarily have a compelling story behind it (or is just too boring to slog through). All the more time for fun reading!

Comments: Post a Comment