Coming Out of Left Field

Monday, May 08, 2017

Tick, tock ...

Today marks two milestones of sorts.

As of today, I have lived in the Boston area for half of my life. Though I've called myself a Bostonian ever since I moved here, I feel like now is the day I finally qualify to do so. I still have to work on the accent, though, and as we figured out at a family dinner the other day, the drink that is called "soda" in these parts I persist in calling "pop".

On a more somber note, if you define my age today as X, and my mother's age at the time of her death as Y, then X + 10 > Y.

I'm not going to go into great detail about this; being on social media doesn't mean one has to reveal everything, especially very private matters such as a parent's death. Also, it doesn't do me a lot of good to dwell on such math. Life is full of things I have little or no control over. All I can do is what *I* can do -- which includes reminding myself that I am so lucky and privileged in so many ways, and to not let that go to waste.

And things could be much worse. I could be stranded millions of miles away from all my loved ones, like the poor guy in Andy Weir's "The Martian," struggling to overcome one problem after another. And facing the prospect of nothing to eat but potatoes for days on end. And no chocolate! Oy, indeed ...

Comments: Post a Comment